Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ladybug Rocks

With a ladybug extravaganza for Alexandria's 1st Birthday celebration to plan, I was trying to come up with a cute centerpiece that was easy, not expensive and one that I could get Emma involved in.  I remembered the cute little ladybug rock that Emma made me for this past Mother's Day and decided to make a bunch of them for the centers of each table.

Things you'll need:
 - Round rocks - any size will work, just a lot more effort the larger the rock
 - Red and Black paint
 - Paint Brush
 - Plastic Google-y Eyes
 - Clear glue

First you paint the rock red which is pretty simple.  You may need to do a few coats to get full coverage and you'll need to plan for the rock to dry before you flip it over to paint the bottom.  After the red is done, you paint a circle of black at one end of the rock.  I'd love to tell you there's a science to it, but there isn't.  You be the judge as to how big or little you'd like the head to be.  Next you add black dots to the back with the paint brush (I used a smaller brush); again, no rhyme or reason to them.  Final touches are to add some google-y eyes to the head using clear glue.  I got a bag of ~300 eyes for about $5 at Walmart that has all different sizes in it, so I just used whatever size I thought worked best depending on how big the rock was.  Here's the final product; pretty easy and definitely something you can get your kids involved in.
Photo only looks amazing because it was taken by my friend and photographer, Steph aka. S.M.I.T.T.E.N. Photography.  The leaf was one I made really quickly with my Cricut to throw underneath the ladybugs on each table.  They also doubled as a weight to hold down the balloons!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! They are so adorable! Maybe I'll get some paints and try to make some different animals with the boys soon.

    ReplyDelete